Friday, August 14, 2015

The last thing you see in bed

As you may have guessed - it's your cell phone.

Its funny, but i remember the time before the smartphone. I asked myself and others "why one would need one"?

Once you try it, it takes you in and can't understand how you've lived without it.
I want to know if really it gives you anything you've could not live without.


So what do I do with my smartphone:

Whatsapp - to contact with coworkers and publish photos of my kids to the family.
Email - mostly work
Camera available everywhere - mostly kids.
Purchases online - Amazon.com, Redcoon.de, ebay.com
Stocks - trading stocks (or at least be connected to see the market)
Banking - see transactions
Train schedule
Funny video breaks.

So can I go back? Can i rrturn to when i was just going with a normal phone with battery that lasted for a week?

I kinda get the answer when I forget my phone at home. I discover that on the way to work, mostly because it was misplaced in the morning to an unusual place and out of sight. In those days, I have the feeling that I cant live without it - all the whatsapp messages, all the people that i could have called and all the email I could have sent will have to wait for the evening.
During that day, I really feel to miss it, however nothing collapses on that day and actually things are doing wuite the same.

So perhaps, its not really that we cant live without the phone but maybe we make it this unlivewithoutable because we rely on it so much. But isnt thats what makes it so great? That we can concentrate so many things in this small device?
I have the feeling that its the same philosophical question as "Is something good because you love it, or do you love it because its good?"

I guess that everyone will have its own answer that will depend on many things, such as line of work, type of organization, personal preference etc..

For me i discovered that it helps to get my things done. However, when its not there, I can still do my work but with some adjustments.

Maybe if your a sales person, you rely on it more then a car mechanic ( no disrespect, but usually sales person talk more on the phone. For me i have figured out that i can do without.

But do i wnat to?



No comments:

Post a Comment